Saturday, May 9, 2009

3rd stage: Astorga - Rabanal del Camino (20km)

On the third day of my pilgrimage I walked to the higher situated Rabanal del Camino (1162 m), but ones again just 20 km to avoid too much exertion after the very hard first day, whose impacts I still felt. This day I spend most of the time together with Hong San, my new Korean friend, so I got to know him a little bit better. I found out that he is a restaurant manager in Korea and wanted to visit Paris as well after completing the Camino. As same as for me it was his first time doing such a long trekking tour. In spite of that he is/was 15 years older than me, he had a very good stamina. Needless to say the same about Fran and Jeordie, who were in the same age and far ahead on almost every day. The landscape on that stage was determind by semi-desert like vegetation and isolated villages along the way. So nothing interesting to report on. In the late afternoon we arrived ones again after the "hard-running" Jeordie and Fran in the nice Rabanal del Camino and stayed in a neat hostel with an inner courtyard and one big sleeping room for all pilgrims(see photo). On this evening we got the chance to attend to a pilgrims mass in the village church to get the blessing for our upcoming way. Of course I didn't understand any Spanish word, but anyway I felt comfortable among all these pilgrims.


half-desert landscape

church steeple

just beautiful

deserted village

Albergue el Pilar

inner courtyard

No comments:

Post a Comment